Mr. Saurabh S Mehta Orthopaedic Shoulder & Upper Limb Surgeon
I am a fellowship trained upper limb surgeon currently appointed as a Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Specialist at the Level 1 Major Trauma Centre University Hospitals of North Midlands, Stoke on Trent.
My journey in the field of Trauma and Orthopaedics started in 1997.
Having gained vast experience in last 20 years, I am passionate about my speciality.
My fellowships, following my completion of training, were from two centres of excellence –
- Upper Limb unit at Wrightington Hospital, Wrightington, UK and
- I have received the British Orthopaedic Association - European Union Travelling Fellowship for 2013. I chose Hôpital de L’Archet, Nice, France for furthering my experience in Shoulder replacement (arthroplasty) and arthroscopic (key hole) shoulder procedures.
I have completed specialist Trauma & Orthopaedic training (CCT) from London and Leicester, UK in 2014, and basic surgical training from Leeds, UK through Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh).
I have also worked at the Hand unit, Birmingham and Trauma Unit at Selly Oak Hospital.
In recognition for my work, I have been awarded by British Shoulder and Hand Societies and have been awarded Gold medals in both MBBS and MS.
I have contributed to several research publications on topics of Frozen shoulder, Shoulder Impingement, Patient Safety, Pectoralis major rupture, Elbow replacement, Shoulder dislocation and instability, small joint fusion of hand.
I have made several national & international podium presentations to learned societies, which include British Society for Surgery of Hand (BSSH), British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS) & British Trauma Society and Hellenic Orthopaedic Association.
CLINICAL PRACTICEI have gained vast experience in the upper limb surgery in last 20 years.
Shoulder and Elbow
I have gained specialist experience in Arthroscopy and Arthroplasty of Shoulder Elbow, Wrist and Hand. Currently I am doing simple and complex surgeries for shoulder and I have also been supervisor to a British Orthopaedic Association upper limb fellow and specialist trainees in Shoulder and Elbow surgery.
Having worked as an upper limb consultant, I have gained breadth and depth of shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand surgery experience.
Wrist and Hand Surgery
I am currently doing upper limb trauma as a part of Major Trauma Centre and also have an elective practice for these cases.
I have gained specialized hand surgery experience during my fellowship at Wrightington and Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham.
I have done Hand Surgery lists in Wrightington, Leicester, Kettering and Birmingham. I have worked as Hand Surgery registrar in Birmingham.
My comprehensive training experience from different centres like London, Birmingham, Leicester, Wrightington, Leeds, India and France provides me with an upper hand position to deliver specialist Upper Limb surgery services.
I have been involved in teaching students, both post-graduate and undergraduate. I have also taught junior staff, colleagues and nursing staff, both in formal and informal settings.
I have also taught GPs, rehabilitation consultants and physiotherapists with good feedback.
I teach on FRCS Orth courses and also teach registrars and trainee Orthopaedic surgeons.
- Completion of Specialist Training (CCT)
Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh)
- FRCS Tr and Orth
Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh), Intercollegiate Surgical Board
The Surgical Royal Colleges of Great Britain and Ireland
Yorkshire School of Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh)
- M.S. (Tr and Orth) Gold Medalist
King George’s Medical College, Lucknow University, India.
Aug 1997- Aug 2000
- MBBS, Gold Medalist
S N Medical College, Agra, India
HONOURS AND MEDALS
- Best Scientific Poster, British Elbow and Shoulder Society Meeting
- Best Scientific Poster, British Elbow and Shoulder Society Meeting
- Best Scientific Poster, British Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting
- RH SAGE audit prize, Runner Up in Audit Competition. Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham
- Gold medal, Best Dissertation in M.S Orthopaedics
- Silver medal, Scientific poster competition at Conference of UP chapter of Indian Orthopaedics Association
- Gold Medal for Medicine in MBBS
- Certificate of merit, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology M.B.B.S examination
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Early results of Latitude primary total elbow replacement with a minimum follow-up of 2 years Saurabh S. Mehta, Adam C. Watts, Sumedh C. Talwalkar, Ann Birch, David Nuttall, Ian A. Trail Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery·2017 Oct;26(10):1867-1872. PMID: 28844418
- Effect of patient safety incident review and reflection in an extended morbidity and mortality meeting Mehta S, Singh HPDias JJ
The International journal of risk & safety in medicine 2016 Aug 22;28(2):65-75. PMID:27567764
- Propionibacterium acnes infection after shoulder surgery.
Kadler BK, Mehta SS, Funk L.
Int J Shoulder Surg. 2015 Oct-Dec;9(4):139-44. doi: 10.4103/0973-6042.167957. PMID: 2662213
- Pectoralis major ruptures: a review of current management.
Butt U, Mehta S, Funk L, Monga P.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015 Apr;24(4):655-62. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2014.10.024. PMID: 25556808
- A systematic review of distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis.
Dickson DR, Mehta SS, Nuttall D, Ng CY.
J Hand Microsurg. 2014 Dec;6(2):74-84. doi: 10.1007/s12593-014-0163-1 PMID: 25414555
- Comparative Outcome of Arthroscopic Release for frozen shoulder in patients with and without diabetes.
SS Mehta, H Singh, R Pandey
Bone Joint J. 2014 Oct;96-B(10):1355-8. PMID: 25274921
- Understanding risks and complications in the management of Ankle Fractures
S S Mehta, K Rees, L Cutler, J Mangwani.
Indian J Orthop. 2014 Sep;48(5):445-52. PMID: 25298549
- A preoperative scoring system to select patients for arthroscopic subacromial decompression.
H P Singh, S S Mehta, R Pandey
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2014 Sep;23(9):1251-6. PMID: 25127909
- The open latarjet procedure is more reliable in terms of shoulder stability than arthroscopic bankart repair
Bessière C, Trojani C, Carles M, Mehta SS, Boileau P.
Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Aug;472(8):2345-51.PMID: 24615422
- Communication after cancellations in orthopaedics: the patient perspective
S S Mehta, D J Bryson, J Mangwani, L Cutler
World J Orthop 2014 5(1):45-50. PMID: 24649413
- Rehabilitation Regimens Following Surgical Repair of Extensor Tendon Injuries of Hand – A Systemic Review of Controlled Trials.
CY Ng, J Chalmer, D Macdonald,S S Mehta, D Nuttall, AC Watts
Journal of Hand and Microsurgery 2012;4(2), 65-73 BSSH Project PMID: 24293953
- Factors determining quality of life and level of sporting activity after internal fixation of an isolated acetabular fracture.
Giannoudis PV, Nikolaou VS, Kheir E, Mehta S, Stengel D, Roberts CS
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009; 91(10):1354-9 PMID: 19794172
- Incidence and Outcome of Whiplash injury after Multiple Trauma.
PV Giannoudis, S S Mehta, E Tsiridis.
Spine 2007; 32(7):776-81 PMID: 17414913
- The Safety and Efficacy of the use of Vasopressin in Sepsis and Septic Shock.
S J Wilson, S S Mehta, M C Bellamy.
Expert Opin. Drug Saf. 2005; 4(6):1027-1039 PMID: 16255662
• Articles that are not Pubmed Indexed
- The “floating knee” in adults and children.
B Chalidis, S S Mehta, E Tsiridis, PV Giannoudis.
Current Orthopaedics 2006; 20(6): 405-410. Erratum in Vol 21(2), page 167
- Assessment and Early Management of Traumatic Brachial Plexus Injury.
S S Mehta, S. Tan, D. M. Power. The Internet Journal of Hand Surgery. 2007. Vol 1 Number 1.
- Hereditary Osteo-onycho-dysplasia - A case report.
V Kumar, U K Jain, S SMehta.
Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, Jan2002.Vol 36 (1), 55-56.
- For my Masters in Orthopaedic Surgery, I submitted a dissertation on “A Study of Management of Intercondylar Fractures of Humerus” S SMehta, U K Jain ,V D Sharma, Oct 1999, accepted by Lucknow University, India
Various presentations done at Learned Societies in International, National, Regional and Local meetings